With the nights drawing in, this handy guide will let you know what you need to be visible, safe and comfortable on your bike over the next few months.
Transport for London
- Cycle Hire Scheme, Free Cycling Maps of London and Journey Planner, https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/
- Finsbury Cycles – 185 Seven Sisters Road, N4 3NS, 020 7263 0007, http://finsburycycles.co.uk [Open daily 10-3, Closed Wednesdays and Sundays.
- Micycle – 47 Barnsbury Street, N1 1TP, 020 7684 0671, http://www.micycle.org.uk [Variable opening hours – call ahead to check]
- Velorution – 123 Essex Rd, N1 2SN, 020 7637 4004, http://www.velorution.com/
- East Central Cycles – 18 Exmouth Market, EC1 4QE, 020 7837 0651 – http://www.eastcentralcycles.co.uk [Open Mon-Sat, 25% off for NHS workers]
- Sargent & Co – 74 Mountgrove Road, N5 2LT, 020 7359 7642 – http://sargentandco.com [Variable opening hours – call ahead to check]
- Vintagehaus Cycles – Regent Studios, 1 Thane Villas, N7 7PH, 07786 540911 – https://www.vintagehausbicycles.co.uk/
Cafe-bar and bike repairs
- Look Mum, No Hands! 49 Old St, EC1V 9HX, 020 7253 1025, http://www.lookmumnohands.com [Email email@example.com for details]
- Micycle – 47 Barnsbury Street, N1 1TP, 020 7684 0671, http://www.micycle.org.uk – free open access workshop all week. Plus run paid for maintenance courses.
- Look Mum, No Hands! 49 Old St, EC1V 9HX, 020 7253 1025, http://www.lookmumnohands.com Monthly workshops on basic skills.
- London Bike Kitchen – 28 Whitmore Road, N1 5QA, 020 8127 3808 – http://lbk.org.uk See COVID-19 details at https://lbk.org.uk/pages/covid-19-update
- Cycle Touring Club (CTC) Central London – http://www.centrallondonctc.org.uk All-day cycle rides for all abilities.
- Cycle Islington (formerly ICAG) – http://cycleislington.uk/ The Islington branch of the LCC http://www.lcc.org.uk
- Cycling UK – http://www.cyclinguk.org Promoting all forms of cycling, protecting the interests of existing and would-be cyclists, and inspiring people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities to discover the joys of cycling.
All ability cycling
- Visit http://www.allinislington.org.uk/sport/cycling/ for more details of the all ability cycling sessions offered in Islington.
- Islington Cycling Club – http://www.islington.cc An inclusive local club offering cycle sport for all. Formed in 2013 and quickly attracted more than 550 members. A wide range of rides at different ability levels, including nine weekly club rides, training rides and several club and open events.
- Finsbury Park CC – http://www.finsburyparkcc.org For keen cyclists looking to take part in road racing, time trials and track, plus weekend club rides.
- London Phoenix CC – http://www.londonphoenix.co.uk London-based cyclists, who get together for races and training.
- Haggerston Park BMX Track – Audrey Street, off Goldsmith’s Row, E2 8QH http://www.hackney.gov.uk/cp-haggerston.htm firstname.lastname@example.org
- Herne Hill Velodrome – Burbage Road, London SE24 9HE – email@example.com – http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com
- Lee Valley Velopark (London 2012 venue) – http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/the-park/venues/lee-valley-velopark
- The Trax Club – http://www.thetrax.co.uk
- The Lordship Loop – 391m ‘pump track’ mountain biking trail. Lordship Recreation Grounds, Lordship Lane http://http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=532553&Y=190032&A=Y&Z=110