This is an agreement between the London Borough of Islington (“the Council”) and you (“the Trainee”) that relates to all training and led rides run by the Council (“Training”) on or after the date of this agreement.
The Trainee agrees to take lessons in safe, effective cycling from Instructors employed by the Council for this purpose. The Trainee agrees that:
- Except in cases where the Council supplies the bicycle I ride, it is my responsibility to ensure that my bicycle is roadworthy and complies with all legal requirements before attending the Training session. If in any doubt concerning this I will consult a qualified Cycle Mechanic.
- The Instructor(s) may refuse to train me if my bicycle is not roadworthy or may be a hazard to myself or other people. Their decision is final. I will not be entitled to a refund if the Training session cannot proceed due to an un-roadworthy or hazardous bicycle.
- Instructors are not obliged to carry out repairs to make an un-roadworthy bicycle, roadworthy.
- I accept that the Instructors may at any time refuse to continue to train me if my behaviour or ability level is deemed to be disruptive or likely to be a hazard to myself or other people.
- I understand that the Council is not responsible for any injury or loss or damage to either myself or any person or property either on the way to, or during the training or, on the way from the training unless this has been caused by an Instructor’s deliberate or negligent act or omission.
- I understand that having taken training it does not necessarily follow that it is safe for me to ride a bicycle. To become proficient takes much more practice than lessons of this kind can provide.
- I am responsible for the decision to wear a helmet during my lesson.
- The Council recommends that you wear a helmet and that it is fitted correctly.
- I am responsible for any injury that may occur as a consequence of wearing, or not wearing a helmet.
- If I do decide to wear a cycle helmet it will conform to one of the following standards. BS6863, AS2063.86, ANSIZ90.4, SNELL B90 or B95.
- The Instructor will advise me as to the fit of my helmet, but may not be able to tell from its appearance if it is in good condition.
- I undertake to make the instructors aware of any medical condition I have which may adversely affect the training.
- I agree that personal details held by the Council may be given to the organisation that is in whole or in part paying for my training and that the organisation may contact me to ask for details of the training.
- All registered users of the Council’s website, who have opted to receive emails, will be kept informed of any cycling related activities the Council believes may be of interest. If the Trainee no longer wishes to receive cycling related communications from the Council, the Trainee should contact us with a request.
- I agree that my image may be used for publicity purposes in association with services provided by the Council and agree that I am not entitled to any royalty or any other fee or sum in respect of the use of my image for such purpose.
- I undertake to wear suitable clothing for the prevailing weather conditions expected during my lesson.
- Instructors are not at liberty to amend the terms and conditions of this consent form.
- I understand this consent form must be accepted before a training session commences and that a training session cannot take place if these terms and conditions are not agreed too. This consent form applies to any training organised by the Council.
Registering children for cycle training: parents/carers, please read carefully
- The application/consent form MUST be signed by the child’s parent / guardian.
- Persons under 16 years of age MUST wear an approved cycle helmet while undertaking the training.
- I understand this course is not designed to teach the basics of balancing and control.
- Training takes place initially in the school playground, if the trainees have reached the required standard they will then be taken out on to local roads for further on road training.
- The instructor’s decision is final with regards to the decision to take children out on to the road.
- Training will cover all aspects of safe cycling, including recommended procedures for starting, stopping and turning left and right and to develop skills and basic strategies for dealing with traffic.
- The instructor will decline training if the trainee is unable physically to control the bicycle.
- Personal belongings are brought to the training sessions at your own risk and the Council can accept no responsibility for damage to or loss of any personal belongings
- I agree that the Instructor(s) can adjust my child’s cycle if necessary.
- I agree that my child will conduct him/herself in an appropriate manner and follow the directions of the Instructor(s).
- My child will be suitably dressed for cycling.
- I understand that the Council is not responsible for any injury or loss or damage to any person or property either on the way to, or during the training or, on the way from the training unless this has been caused by an Instructor’s deliberate or negligent act or omission.
- I understand that having taken training it does not necessarily follow that my child is safe to ride a bicycle. To become proficient takes much more practice than lessons of this kind can provide.
- I understand this consent form must be accepted before my child’s training session commences and that a training session cannot take place if these terms and conditions are not agreed too. This consent form applies to any training organised by the Council.
These rides are for children and adults who can ride a bike competently.
Notes for parents and carers
- All participants under the age of 18 must have a signed Council parental consent form. The only exception is where a young person having reached the age of 16 can prove that they are no longer living with their parents or guardian and are living as an independent adult. This needs to be proven by the supply of evidence such as a rent book or utility bill with the person’s current address in their name or a National Students Union membership card.
- The minimum age for unaccompanied children on this event is 14. There is no lower age limit if accompanied by a responsible adult acting in loco parentis, but a signed parental consent form is still needed. Children aged 14 to 17 may participate unaccompanied if they have parental permission and the parental consent form is signed.
Parents or carers must be aware:
- Of the demands of this cycling event and that they alone make the decision about the ability of their child to complete the ride.
- That the child may cycle with other adults and / or with children, but that there is also a possibility of the child cycling on their own.
- That while Islington Council extends a welcome to cyclists of all ages and ability, no special provision for children is provided on these events.
- Arrangements to get to and from the ride are the sole responsibility of the parent or guardian.
Individual, family and group training
- If bad weather prevents training taking place we may reschedule at no further cost.
- If the Trainee fails to provide three or more working days notice that they are unable to attend a training session, the Trainee(s) will forgo their right to free cycle training.
School courses and Dr Bikes
- If the school/organisation cancels the course within 4 weeks of the start date, the school/organisation pays 50% of the course/Dr Bike cost.
- If the school/organisation cancels the course within 2 weeks of the start date, the school/organisation pays 100% of the course/Dr Bike cost.
- Please contact us if you are unhappy with any aspect of your lesson.