Congratulations – you’ve taken the first step, or pedalled the first stroke, on what we hope will be an enjoyable and rewarding journey as a cyclist. But where do you go from here? Here are a few ideas …
- Take one of our free basic cycle skills courses. These generally run during the afternoons of our weekend sessions, from 12.45pm to 2.15pm. You can find out our next available dates here. They have the same relaxed and fun atmosphere as our beginners courses, and you’ll be learning more advanced skills such as using gears, signalling and looking around as you ride.
- Keep practising by yourself. While it’s true that you never forget how to ride a bike, the best way to improve is with regular practice sessions to keep your skills up. If you don’t have your own bike, you could try TfL’s Santander Cycles. Islington also hosts a number of dockless cycle hire operators: Lime, JUMP and Freebike.
- Take a free 1:1 urban cycle skills session with one of our instructors. Once you feel more confident as a rider and you’re thinking about making short local trips by road, book a 1:1 session. One of our instructors will show you the best approach to cycling on road with other traffic, and ride with you to help you improve.
- Join a free local bike ride, led by experienced guides. British Cycling run a scheme called Ride Social – there’s a huge variety of rides to choose from, and they’re all free to take part in. We also organise our own rides occasionally, and advertise them here.
- If you have any questions then contact us to find out more about our cycling programme in Islington.